Whoa, Momma! I have two words for you.
Get out your slippers and your snuggle blankie because this is one of those meals that makes you want to forget your troubles and curl up on the couch with a plate of cheesy goodness.
This dish is called “cheesy” for a reason. Because it’s loaded with cheese. But that’s not the only kind of cheesy I’ll be discussing today. One definition of “cheesy” I found is:
of poor quality through being overdramatic, excessively emotional or clichéd
Boy, do I love cheesy movies. In fact, I love cheesy movies so much that I’m having a hard time narrowing down my favorites. So I will randomly pick a few and revisit the topic sometime in the future.
Long before Kim Cattrall was wreaking havoc in New York City with her girlfriends, she was wreaking havoc in a department store with Andrew McCarthy as a mannequin come to life. It’s pure gold!
2. Dirty Dancing
She did it! She did the lift! Every time I watch, my heart leaps into my throat in anticipation, but she nails it every single time! Way to go, Baby!
3. 13 Going on 30
Genius idea- a 13 year-old-girl magically becomes herself at 30… and many shenanigans ensue! Okay, maybe it’s not completely original. But I don’t care. I LOVE this movie. It’s one of my bad day go-tos.
Mel: You mean to tell me that you argued your way from a C+ to an A-?
Cher: Totally based on my powers of persuasion, you proud?
Mel: Honey, I couldn’t be happier than if they were based on real grades.
Such a cute movie!
5. The Brady Bunch Movie
The title and picture say it all.
Which brings us to…
Cheesy Chicken and Ham Bake
- 2 cups macaroni
- 5 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 oz. swiss cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, dvided
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 2 cups cooked, diced ham
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350º. Cook and drain macaroni.
- Combine bread crumbs, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, and 1 tbsp melted butter in a small bowl. Set aside.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt 4 tbsp butter in saucepan over low heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Pour in milk and bring to a boil. Boil and stir for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheddar, swiss, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Stir until melted. Mix in chicken and ham.
- Pour the drained macaroni into a 9×13-inch ungreased baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni and mix well.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the whole dish and top with tomato slices. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
This is what they serve in heaven on the cheese cloud, right in between the french fry cloud and the giant “All Exercise is Strictly Prohibited” sign. Not all of my critics were quite as enthusiastic, however:
Sarah Crewe: It is extremely unique and pretty good. (High praise, indeed)
Batman: It’s a little too cheesy and I don’t really like it. (He’s the one that doesn’t like cheese, so no surprise there)
Curious George: It’s good. Do I have to eat all my vegetables?
Elmo loved it. She’s getting to be a better eater every day!
Don Corleone: Is one of the ingredients ‘deliciousness?’ This might be my death row meal. (We all should have one, just in case)
Oh, come on! We all loved that movie when it came out! It wasn’t until years later that it became “cheesy!”
Here’s wishing you a very cheesy day!