Once upon a time there was Chocolate. Chocolate was good… VERY good, but lonely. One day she met Peanut Butter. Peanut Butter was also lonely. So he asked Chocolate out on a date. They fell in love, got married, and lived Happily Ever After. The End.
I don’t know if that’s how it happened, or if it was more like the old Reese’s commercials (“Your chocolate’s in my peanut butter” “No, your peanut butter’s in my chocolate…”) but it doesn’t really matter. The important thing is that it happened.
Quick sidebar: The best thing about that commercial is that it reminds us of the good ol’ days, when girls would walk down the street with an open jar of peanut butter, eating it with their hands. You know, before the invention of spoons? And etiquette?
Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups peanut butter (I use creamy)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 11.5-oz packages milk chocolate chips
- Combine butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Mix in powdered sugar. Mix, and mix, and mix. This is really hard. You have my permission to skip the gym today. Your arms will get quite a workout. Keep mixing. You’re not done yet. When you look at the mixture, and you think, “Eh, it’s good enough,” mix a little more. Then you’re done.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Or overnight. But beware, if you leave it in there too long it starts to evaporate. (At least I think that’s what happened. I’m sure I didn’t eat any of it while watching Modern Family).
- Shape mixture into egg shapes. Return to refrigerator again for another hour-ish.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or double boiler. Dip each egg into the melted chocolate and coat well, then place on waxed paper. Store in refrigerator for I don’t know how long. They never lasted long enough to be a problem for me. They also freeze very well.
Makes about 45-60 2-inch eggs, depending on how much you ate while watching Modern Family.
Mmmm… Chocolate and Peanut Butter. Arguably the greatest duo of all time.
Nick & Nora-
Tracy & Hepburn-
Fred & Ginger-
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid-
Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau-
Abbott & Costello-
Nah, Chocolate and Peanut Butter still win!