My husband informed me this morning that today, May the 4th, is Star Wars Day.
You knew that, too, right?
I got the idea for Star Wars oreos from justjennrecipes.com. Jenn is my go-to resource for all things Geek and Food. I am so enamored of her creativity! Since I am married to a Geek, and am apparently raising a whole new generation of Geeks, and since I love to cook, I visit her site frequently (read: daily).
Star Wars Oreos
- your favorite sugar cookie recipe
- Star Wars cookie cutters from Williams-Sonoma
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare sugar cookies with Star Wars cookie cutters, adding food coloring if desired. While the cookies cool, prepare the filling:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter while carefully adding the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Plop some filling onto one cookie, and top with another. (Depending on the shape, you will put some filling on the flat side of the cookie). And there you have it. These aren’t the cookies you’re looking for.
Nice try, Obi Wan. These are precisely the cookies I’m looking for!
The last time I made these, I added green food coloring to half the batter for Yoda, and cocoa powder to half the batter for Darth Vader. I didn’t take a picture, because I had no idea Star Wars Day would be here so soon! It just creeps up on you, doesn’t it??? This time I only made Yoda and Boba Fett, because making one big green batch was, quite frankly, all the excitement I could take for one day.
Goodness, with the Royal Wedding, the bin Laden news, and Star Wars Day… this is turning out to be quite a week! I’m going to need a vacation after all this!
Speaking of vacations, my six-year-old wanted to know if cereal for grown-ups has alcohol in it. Mmmmm… Martini-O’s! That might be just what the doctor ordered!
May the 4th be with You!
(that’s the Star Wars Day slogan. Seriously. You can’t make this stuff up!)