My 8-year-old daughter performed in her first orchestra concert the other day. Now, being a musician and the wife of a musician, I have been to countless orchestra and band concerts. My first as a performer was when I played the flute in the fourth grade band. Since then, off the top of my head, I can think of 27 concerts that I performed in before high school graduation. That doesn’t count football games or marching band competitions. Then all those concerts and recitals in college… phew! My parents came to every one, the poor dears!
Then I became a music teacher and I got to conduct these concerts. So I was a performer and a director. But this time I got to be the proud parent!
Let me tell you, Variations on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star never sounded so beautiful in all my life.
For a special after school snack for my budding young cellist before the big night…
Brown Rice Krispies Treats with Peanut Butter
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 10-oz pkg regular size marshmallows
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups brown rice cereal (puffed rice)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Stir in peanut butter and mix until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Add rice cereal and stir until evenly coated. Press into a 9 x 13-inch pan coated with cooking spray. (I used a star shaped silicone pan). Cool.
These were a big hit with my Critics. I like to make Rice Krispies Treats with brown rice cereal instead of regular Rice Krispies because I like the nutty flavor the brown rice brings. This was the first time I added peanut butter, and it was a success. Lots of “mmmm…”s and “They’re good!” even from Don Corleone.
Here’s wishing you a musical day 🙂