We are going on vacation for a week with Grandma and Grandpa Corleone. We’re going down the shore. That’s Philly talk, for “going to the New Jersey beaches.” Look for me on upcoming episodes of Jersey Shore. I’ll be the cool one, unloading a cooler full of Juicy Juice and Goldfish crackers from the minivan. Yeah, that’s right. This baby’s got not one, not two, but ten cup holders! Eat your heart out, Snooki.
Before we leave, I thought I’d give you a glimpse inside the insanity that is my mind. Here is an excerpt from my to-do list:
Things to do (not necessarily in this order):
- wash every article of clothing in the entire house
- clean the bathrooms, kitchen, dining room, bedrooms, and living room
- clean and organize the toy bins, putting toys in similar categories
- put away all the clothes from #1
- re-organize the game closet
- finally tackle that basket of ironing
- go to Sam’s Club
- go to Walmart
- decide if I’m buying that awesome blue bag I saw at the mall
- go to mall to buy awesome blue bag (I need it for packing)
- spend some time admiring new blue bag
- bake cupcakes for daughter’s summer birthday to share with class (done!)
bake cookies I promised to bring for last day of school party
- go to store to buy cookies I promised to bring for last day of school party
- see if my bathing suit still fits
- stop crying and just pack the dumdum* bathing suit, already (I don’t think I’ll say dumdum, but this is a family-friendly blog, so I can’t put the word(s) I will say).
- run a 5K (done!)
- write a blog post (done!)
- wash and change all the bedding in the house
- finish reading Bossypants and return to library
- find the rest of the library books and return them
The sad thing is, this really is just an excerpt. These are just some of the things that I would like to get done before we leave. I know it’s crazy. I know it’s unrealistic. I know that if the ironing waited this long, it can wait another week. But I can’t help it. I walk around the house every day and see all the things that need to be done, and even though the list plagues me all the time, at vacation time, I somehow think I can turn into Superwoman and get it all done in a few days.
By the night before our trip, my to-do list will look like this:
Things to do:
And that’s not because I got everything done. It’s because I finally decided that fine, okay, the toy bins don’t have to be organized before we go. The game closet can wait. I just need to get this dumdum mountain of dumdum clothes into those dumdum suitcases so we can go to the dumdum shore. (see ‘dumdum’ note above).
Anyhoo. You’ll notice that one of the items on my list is cupcakes. My daughter’s birthday is in August, during summer vacation, so she brought cupcakes to school today to share with her class.
I wanted to do something with candy on top, and my first thought was, Trader Joe’s Gummy Tummies Penguins. I puffy heart Gummy Tummies.
Since it’s late, and I have 22+ items on my to-do list, you won’t be getting many details on how I made these. Basically, I baked cupcakes using a chocolate cake mix (yes, a mix. Hel-looo?!? Have you seen my to-do list??).
Then I made Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting from sweetsavorylife.com which is just so, so easy… and way better than the stuff in a can. I piped the frosting on top in two layers, and sprinkled with some blue sugar. I added the penguins, and voila! A perfect
winter summer cupcake!
The other Critics were upset that they didn’t get a cupcake, so I promised I’d make them again soon. Awww, shucks! You mean I have to buy those darn penguins again? Rats!
Apparently the kids in the class enjoyed the cupcakes. Except Robert. He said he didn’t want one. I don’t know what his problem was.
Okay, back to my list…