Dirt cake is funny. It looks like dirt… but it isn’t! It’s a great practical joke to play on an unsuspecting two-year-old. Unless they refuse to eat it, even after everyone is eating it, then you might feel just a tad guilty. You might feel even more guilty when, days later, you offer a plain gummy worm and it, too, is refused.
Easy Classic Dirt Cake
- 1 package Oreos
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
- cool whip, about 1/2 container
- gummy worms
- Crush oreos into fine crumbs. You can use a blender, but I just put them in a ziploc bag and used a rolling pin to smash them. It’s especially fun to do it this way after a long, rainy, summer day when the kids were stuck in the house all day.
- Prepare pudding according to package directions. When pudding is finished, fold in about half a carton of cool whip.
- Put crushed oreos into bottom of serving dish. I did mine in individual cups, but you can use a large serving dish, too. Put pudding on top, and arrange gummy worms in and around the pudding.
- Sprinkle more cookie crumbs on top of the pudding.
This is such a fun dessert. I know there are more detailed and more complicated recipes out there, but I kind of threw this together at the last minute. Maybe I’ll make it again and give you better directions next time!
Maybe my little Elmo will eat it next time!
But if not, it’s okay. I try not to get too upset when they don’t eat their dessert 😉