My little Curious George, my baby boy, is five years old today. I know I get mushy at all my kids birthdays, but five is an especially tough one. I don’t know why, maybe it’s because he’s school aged now… no more preschooler. Maybe it’s because he made such a darn cute four-year-old. Maybe I’m just afraid that all the annoying-but-funny comments he makes about dinner (that were the inspiration for this blog) are going to become more annoying and less funny as he gets older. Or maybe I’m just sappy.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s it.
Batman got chocolate milk waffles on his birthday two weeks ago, so of course, a bowl of Cheerios just wasn’t going to cut it today. More chocolate for breakfast!
Nutella Stuffed French Toast
- loaf of Italian, French, or other such bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Slice bread into 1-inch slices. Take each piece and slice it, halfway down but not all the way. You’re making a little pocket. Almost like a pita. Squish about a tablespoon of Nutella into each pocket (see photo). Set aside.
- In a shallow pan or bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a griddle or pan over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture and turn to coat the other side. Place on hot griddle and cook a few minutes until one side is brown, then flip and cook the other side.
French toast is so pretty!
This breakfast made my birthday boy very happy. He said, “This is sooo good! It tastes like Nutella was splattered inside the bread!”
Yesterday he told me, “Mommy, I’m trying to stay little, but I just keep having birthdays!” Sigh…
He still says funny things. For now, anyway.