I love ice cream so much that I often forget how good sorbet is. It’s such a refreshing after dinner treat, and perfect for the dog days of summer.
Mixed Berry Sorbet
adapted slightly from Cookin’ Canuck
- 6 cups fresh or frozen berries (I used a mix of frozen strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- juice of two large lemons
- Combine berries and sugar in a large bowl and let sit for 15 minutes to release the juices.
- Place berries (and their juices) and lemon juice in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Strain the mixture using a fine mesh sieve and discard solids. Refrigerate mixture 30 minutes.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and freeze for 3-4 hours. Serve.
I would like to make this with fresh berries next time, but I happened to have a huge bag of frozen berries in the freezer that I wanted to use up.
I probably don’t have to tell you that the Critics loved it. They always love dessert!