I can’t believe July is almost over. My oldest baby is turning 9 in two days. I think I’m starting to turn into an old person. It’s a long transition, but it’s happening. I had the radio on while I was making this salad, and they played Huey Lewis and the News on the oldies station. I saw Huey Lewis in concert. It’s not fair. I felt a little bit better when the next song was Smokey Robinson, but not much. I’m still old.
And speaking of old, how about that black bean and corn salad, huh? Okay, fine, that was a poor lead-in. What can I say, I’m still feeling a little down about Huey. It’s the best I can do under the circumstances.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-3 handfuls of fresh chopped cilantro, according to taste
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix lime juice, sugar, and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour over salad. Mix well.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and mix. We like a lot of cilantro, so I probably used closer to 3 handfuls, but start with 1 and add more to your liking.
Curious George sat down to the table and said, “I already know I don’t like it.”
Elmo said, “I eat the beans, okay, Mommy?”
Batman and Sarah Crewe both said they liked it, but didn’t eat much.
And Don Corleone and I enjoyed every bite!