I have been trying hard to cut back on the amount of red meat that my family eats. But when I suggested that we serve grilled chicken to our guests on Memorial Day, my husband practically had a… fine, I’ll say it, he had a cow. Cow, as in hamburger. Apparently one does not ring in the summer season with poultry.
So we’ll have our traditional hamburgers and hot dogs on Monday, and the healthy grilled chicken on Saturday.
Grilled Margarita Chicken Salad
- 1 1/2 cups margarita mix
- zest from 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- romaine lettuce
- red onion
- Lime Vinaigrette, below
- tortilla chips, crumbled, or tortilla strips, or TNWIGTTSFJOBOC Chips, below
- Combine first 6 ingredients (margarita mix through pepper) in a large ziploc bag. Add the chicken. Coat well and refrigerate for at least two hours. While you have the margarita mix out, go ahead and fix yourself a drink. You deserve it.
- Grill the chicken (or bake in oven).
- Prepare lettuce, tomato, and onion as you normally would for a salad. Pour dressing over top and mix well.
- Slice the chicken and serve over salad. Top with tortilla chips.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine olive oil and remaining ingredients. Whisk well.
I didn’t think of the tortilla chips until I had already gone to the store. But the salad still needed a little crunch. So I came up with:
There’s No Way I’m Going To The Store For Just One Bag of Chips Chips
- tortillas (corn would be better but I only had flour. See title of this recipe!)
- cooking spray
- chili powder and/or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Slice tortillas as you would a pizza, into 8 pieces. Or you can cut out shapes with cookie cutters, like stormtroopers and Boba Fett. Place tortilla pieces on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle with seasoning. I sprinkled half with chili powder and half with salt.
- Bake for about 4-5 minutes, or until tortillas are as crisp as you like.
They were not as crunchy as store-bought chips, but they worked. And because they were in Star Wars shapes, I heard no complaints 😉
And speaking of no complaints, there were none with this meal. Yippy-skippy!
Batman: I think this is delicious!
Sarah Crewe: Well, it’s okay. It really tastes like margarita. (as if she would know)
Curious George: Mmmmm!!! It’s really good!
Elmo: It tastes like chicken. (awww… her first real critique)
Don Corleone said I’m putting too much pressure on him to come up with creative comments. But then he cracked himself up with the following:
“This chicken is so good, if I had two pistols I’d shoot them in the air, yelling ‘Ay! Ay! Ay!'”
“This reminds me of when I was in Pancho Villa’s army.”
“Maybe I shouldn’t have had that second beer.”
“This reminds me of a Mexican restaurant near my house growing up, except it’s good. And I don’t have diarrhea.”
I hope you all have a lovely Memorial Day weekend! Enjoy the unofficial start of summer, and don’t forget to pause to remember those who have died in our nation’s service.